Every research starts somewhere. The point where I start is always the same, regardless what the market does.
1) I check the biggest percent gainers on Yahoo!, StocksToTrade, and Interactive Broker.
2) I check the chart if it is one of my most successful technical setups, based on my spreadsheet statistics.
3) I briefly check the company ( float, cashflow, number of employees etc.), and if it truly fits and
4) I "waste" some time to briefly check the "why", which kind of catalyst made it moving.
5) Then I have to decide if it will be a day trade, chart trade or swing trade.
6) When I have done all those steps, I make up my trading plan.FIRST I determine my risk. How much I am willing to loose, where to I get out! Based on that I conclude my position size and profit taking plan, as I prefer to cash in some profits along the way, to better manage my emotions. It truly makes you more comfortable if you know you already have a profit, and your size is smaller.
Thats it, there is really no secret to it you just have to go through the process, over and over and over and over again...